How to Apply for Passport in the Philippines

This is an example of the newly-issued passport of the Department of Foreign Affairs. DFA issued it to me on February 16, 2011 and it has a validity period of five (5) years. It will still valid until February 15, 2016. I paid P950 for passport fee. I applaud DFA for the efficient process of getting my passport. No fixers anymore.

If you want to apply for a passport, I would suggest you visit the website of DFA first, or you may call them directly to avoid confusion. Nevertheless, I will post here some information that might help you in your application.

For the requirements for NEW APPLICANTS:

1. You need to have your BIRTH CERTIFICATE (BC) in SECURITY PAPER (SECPA) issued by the National Statistics Office (NSO). They will NOT accept the Certificate of Live Birth issued by your Local Municipal Civil Registrar UNLESS it is authenticated by the NSO. To avoid hassle, I would suggest to get your birth certificate directly from NSO.

2. Be ready with your identification card (ID). It must be original. The following is a list of recognized IDs in the Philippines:

Primary IDs:

Philippine passport or Foreign Passport
Driver’s License
Professional Regulations Commission (PRC) ID
National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) Clearance
Police clearance
Postal ID
Voter’s ID
Barangay certification
Government Service Insurance System (GSIS)
Social Security System (SSS) card
Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA) ID
Seaman’s Book
Alien Certificate of Registration (ACR)/Immigrant Certification of Registration
Government Office and GOCC ID e.g. Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP ID), Home Development Mutual Fund (HDMF ID)
Certification from the National Council for the Welfare of Disabled Persons (NCWDP)
Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) Certification
Major Credit Cards
Bureau of Internal Revenue (BIR) Taxpayer’s ID
Firearms License
National ID
Work Permit
Diplomat ID
Philippine Leisure and Retirement Authority (PLRA) ID
Company IDs issued by private entities or institutions registered with or supervised or regulated either by the BSP, SEC or IC.
Philhealth Card
Immigrant Certificate of Registration
Other valid IDs issued by the Government and its instrumentalities e.g. DTI

The following shall be exempted from the “expiry” requirement
Integrated Bar of the Phils. (IBP) ID
PNP/AFP commissioned or retired officer’s ID
For Prominent Government Officials
Media Report/publication with photo
For WB Corporate Clients’ directors/shareholders/authorized signatories – Only to satisfy the photo requirement
Latest annual report
Media Report/publication (from whatever source) with photo
For students who are:
    a.  beneficiaries of an OFW; and
    b.  who are not yet of voting age
whose transactions involve remittance claims
Student ID signed by the principal or head of school
ADDITIONAL VALID ID per Memorandum No. M-2007-021
Special Investor’s Resident Visa (SIRV) Card

3. Some other supporting documents which bear your full name, birth date, place of birth, and citizenship. 

Other Supporting Documents

Please bring the following if they are available.
  • Marriage Contract
  • Land Title
  • Driver's License
  • Government Service Record
  • School Form 137 or Transcript of Records with dry seal
  • Other documents that show full name and birth details of applicant and/or citizenship
  • Voter's Registration Record from COMELEC Intramuros
  • Baptismal Certificate with dry seal
  • Seaman's Book
  • Income Tax Return (Old)
  • NBI Clearance

There are other documents DFA is requiring for applicants with foreign-sounding family names, have dual citizenship, for minor applicants, and Muslims.

For more information, you may log on to the official website of DFA at

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...