THE OTHER SIDE OF GMA

 


I remember one time when my professor in Vernacular Language way back in college shared to us his thoughts about what the name Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo stands for. I could not exactly remember everything, and for the purpose of clarity, I did a little research.


GLORIA = a Latin term which means glorious or glory (www.wiki.answers.com, www.dictionary.net)


MACAPAGAL =  from Tagalog prefix maka (maca) which means pro or for, and pagal which means tired, hardships, or suffering (This is according to my professor in UP. Owss...)


ARROYO = The dry bed of a small stream [or river] (Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, 1913)


If we are to define the name of GMA, according to my professor, it shows that the name Gloria Macapagal Arroyo simply means A SMALL, DRY RIVER OF GLORIOUS SUFFERING. 

In fairness to Madame President, she has done a lot of things for the improvement of our country, and I think she deserves what is due to her.