News about 'mysterious' disease in Pangasinan caused panic


 Map of the Province of Pangasinan


I opened my Facebook account this morning and I saw several posts and comments from friends about this 'mysterious disease' that's 'spreading' across Pangasinan, a province located in Region I. I looked for some videos in Youtube and watched a video from Bandila news program of ABS-CBN.

Many claim that the prophecy of Sadhu, a Christian prophet from India, has come to pass. People are panicking. Religious people are calling for repentance.

Then I looked for some opinions and explanations on the matter. A news article from ABS-CBN News stated that the Department of Health has already identified the 'flesh-eating' diseases as leprosy and psoriasis. I know what leprosy is but I have no idea what psoriasis is, so I searched the term in Wikipedia, and here's the description:

"Psoriasis is characterized by scaly, reddened patches, papules, and plagues which usually itch The causes of psoriasis are not fully understood. It is generally considered a genetic disease thought to be triggered or influenced by environmental factors. No cure is available for psoriasis, but various treatments can help to control the symptoms. Many treatments are available, but due to its chronic recurrent nature, psoriasis is a challenge to treat."

According to DOH, both diseases are not communicable, so there is no need to panic. The disease is NOT widespread as reported by Julius Babao.

Here's a link from Youtube. To watch the video, please click here.